We also offer a range of self-paced exercise programs at our Dutton Park Clinic as well as Heartmoves for MS programs. Please find more information about these services below.
SELF-PACED EXERCISE PROGRAMS
For people living with MS, maintaining quality of life can be challenging. Exercise is an essential component to ensuring the best quality of life for people living with MS. Opportunities for people to be encouraged and self-motivated with pursuing exercise are supported by MS Queensland Services and is an integral part of the Society’s strategic direction. To encourage this, the use of the exercise facilities is being expanded outside of scheduled therapy programs, for registered clients of the Society.
OPEN GYM (DUTTON PARK CLINIC)
From April 10 to July 5 2013 the gym will be open on Wednesday from 1:00pm to 2:00pm for people wishing to use the regular gym equipment. You need to be able to safely use equipment independently or with the assistance of a support person. All therapy specific equipment is not accessible on this day. Please note that this space will not be an operational physiotherapy clinic and no exercise prescription or monitoring will be available on this day.
OPEN POOL (DUTTON PARK CLINIC)
From April 10 to July 5 2013 the pool will be open on Wednesdays from 11:00am to 12 midday and on Fridays from 8:30am to 9:30am. The pool is available for those able to exercise independently or with a support person. Numbers for the pool are limited to eight, so early registration is necessary to avoid disappointment. A staff member will be onsite to:
- Instruct you and/or your support person in the safe operation of equipment;
- Ensure organisational WPHS requirements are met and;
- Provide First Aid, CPR and instructions in the event of an emergency.
Requirements for Exercising
- Wear closed in shoes at all times.
- Bring a towel to place between yourself and equipment and to wipe over equipment after use.
- Bring water bottles only, to keep hydrated. A water cooler is located in hallway. Please drink water in plastic cups in this location only.
- Only attend with a support person, if a support person is a condition of safe participation.
- Return all equipment to storage areas/ resting positions when finished.
Additional Attendance Requirements
- Register attendance in the Sign in book.
- Participate in training on “Safe Operation of Equipment”. *
- Observe Infection Control Procedures.
- Observe equipment “Out of Order” signage.
- Observe time limits on equipment, when indicated.
* NB Training in the safe operation of the hoists will need to be completed outside the Friday session times.
To find out more about our open gym and pool services please contact our InfoLine on 1800 177 591.